Skip to main content

Starting the Path


Where did it all begin?

To start, I love computers. I always have. The technology in them and around us is intimidating to say the least. There are many things I would do differently and wish could be done differently. So, why not me? I decided to actually try computers more than what I had in the past. I can troubleshoot and setup computers with some basic concepts. I couldn't build one from scratch, but then again, I never tried. I loved computers, but it was my hobby. I was afraid that if I turned my hobby into a career, I would lose my hobby because I wouldn't want to mess with computers outside of work. Eventually, you just have to get past that and try it out.

I had been in Customer Service for over a decade. I excelled quickly in that department, but it became very clear after several efforts that I was simply not going to move forward in that department. Though I had advanced most of their technology from the first year I was there, created and wrote several policies and procedures, developed nearly all of the technical tools with the IT team they still use, I was repeatedly told I wasn't ready for leading the team. It was scary, but it was time to leave that group behind. It stung because that "carrot" was always dangled in front of me when I started looking, but I had been following it for way too long. I should have left about five years ago when I didn't get the position to begin with. I have no ill feelings towards the group, and I still work closely with them today. It just feels like I'm finally heading in the direction I should have long ago; the path meant for me.

Where am I now?

I'm in IT now. I applied for a job and finally got a position as a Tester for Nucor Buildings Group. The software I test is for Business Tools. This took place officially as of March 13, 2017. Since then, I have been testing the software I used everyday with even more permission levels. New software I'm not accustomed to is also part of what I test, so I've been spending a great deal of time learning that software as well in my spare time.

The mindset is mind-blowingly refreshing. We follow the Agile Scrum process, which I'm still very new to. They tell me communication is an issue at times, but to be honest, the communication in this group is not terrible at all. I have been among much more confusion issues, and it can become catastrophic if it's not handled correctly. Some of the communication issues, I think can be extremely easily remedied here. So, that's one nice thing. The Product Owner, Scrum Master, and IT Supervisor have been fantastic. They not only encourage developing their people, they set time aside for it, invest in it; they want to help. I've never been in a position where it's simply okay to take some time during work to investigate some things that will personally develop a person down the line.

Where am I going?

My goal is to become a developer. I have side projects I'd love to do, and I want to start learning to write code. So, that's the point of this blog - to track my progress from a tester a couple of months into a new job to (hopefully) a full-fledged developer writing code. The journey moving forward is going to be slow going, and I hope to start positing some of my simpler projects I'm working on. I also hope that others will show me the errors in my ways, give me some tips, and make me better in the long run. My other wish is that this journey serves as an inspiration to someone else wanting to change paths, and maybe not even one on a technical journey, but simply a career change. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time Management

Codefighting Progress Okay, first, if you're not following my other blogs, it's worth noting that I'm simultaneously studying to become a pilot. I had no idea the time it's going to take to study everything for the flight school. The amount of information covered is insane and demanding. I'm going to keep both up, but not nearly at the pace I had initially hoped. The actual ground school lasts 12 weeks, and then I take a written test. I'll have to get actual flight time in and eventually take the flight test within 2 years to be a full blown pilot. That being said to iterate how much my focus will be divided briefly, but I will come back more focused to this task at hand. I'm in the 2nd week of the 12 week close so only 2 1/2 months left, then my flying time is only on the weekends. I'll figure out how to do that. As far as the what I've been doing lately, well, I haven't progressed further than the 2nd chapter in the book. In my spare

Progress on the Pet Project

So, I don't have much, but I do have some. Behold my genius code for my hours calculation:     Private Sub btnCalculate_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnCalculate.Click         Dim s1 As Integer         Dim s2 As Integer         Dim s3 As Integer         Dim s4 As Integer         s1 = Val(txtTimeInSunday.Text)         s2 = Val(txtTimeOutLunchSunday.Text)         s3 = Val(txtTimeInLunchSunday.Text)         s4 = Val(txtTimeOutSunday.Text)         lblSundayHoursTotal.Text = s4 - s1 - (s3 - s2)         Dim m1 As Integer         Dim m2 As Integer         Dim m3 As Integer         Dim m4 As Integer         s1 = Val(txtTimeInMonday.Text)         s2 = Val(txtTimeOutLunchMonday.Text)         s3 = Val(txtTimeInLunchMonday.Text)         s4 = Val(txtTimeOutMonday.Text)         lblMondayHoursTotal.Text = m4 - m1 - (m3 - m2)         Dim t1 As Integer         Dim t2 As Integer         Dim t3 As Integer         Dim t4 As Integer         s1 = Val(txtTime